1701 East Lake Avenue, Suite 200
Glenview, Illinois 60025




What Can I Do If I Am Injured Crossing the Street this Halloween?

 Posted on October 26, 2023 in Car Accidents

IL injury lawyerThis Halloween you should keep in mind the frightful consequences of being struck by someone who is driving impaired, distracted, or too fast. You may be planning to accompany your little ghouls and goblins trick-or-treating, but if you are injured in a car accident, you need an Illinois attorney to help you get the compensation that you deserve so that you get the necessary treatment.

How Can Halloween Increase Risks for Trick-O-Treaters?

Every Halloween, police agencies have to warn people about being safe on the streets and watch out for cars. The general public tends to think that speeding is not as dangerous as drunk driving or distracted driving. Speeding, however, continues to be a major cause of injury and fatal crashes across the country according to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration. We want everyone to go out and have fun this Halloween but be cautious. Unfortunately, drivers who speed are also more likely to engage in other risky behaviors, like driving without a safety belt, drinking and driving, or using a cell phone while driving.

How Is Fault Determined in Illinois?

Under Illinois law, if you are injured in a car accident, a system called comparative negligence is used to determine fault. Comparative negligence looks at what each person did leading up to the accident. For instance, if the driver ignored a red light and hit you, you likely have a case. If you are found to be less than 50 percent at fault for the accident, you can still seek compensation for your injuries. But the amount you will get will be reduced based on your part in the accident.

What Kind of Compensation Can I Get?

Car accident compensation is the money you may get if you are hurt in a car crash. It covers things like medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. How much you can get depends on how badly you are hurt, how much damage is done, and who is to blame. When an accident happens, the insurance company looks at all these things before offering you a settlement.

Who Can Get Car Accident Compensation In Illinois?

It is for anyone hurt in a car accident caused by someone else's mistake. This includes drivers, passengers, pedestrians, and even cyclists hit by a careless driver. Sometimes, if a family member dies in a car accident, you can get compensation through a wrongful death claim. In Illinois, every driver needs to have uninsured motorist coverage, so even if the other driver has no insurance, you can still get help from your insurance company.

Schedule a Free Consultation with a Glenview, IL Lawyer

If you or a family member is seriously injured in a car accident, you may be entitled to compensation. At Gruzmark Law, Ltd. we can try to help maximize your recovery with a personal injury lawsuit. Call 847-729-7660 for a free consultation. An experienced Northbrook, IL attorney will deal with all aspects of your claim so that you or your loved one can focus on recovery.

Share this post:
Back to Top